Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bad River Road.......

The human spirit needs places where nature
has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author Unknown

This past weekend we were visiting friends in Pierre, SD.  Saturday morning I was able to sneak out and do a little photo shooting along the Bad River Road
just south and west of Ft Pierre, SD

This is an amazing area with stunning prairie views and no lack of wildlife. 
I was even lucky enough to see Ted Turner's HUGE herd of buffalo!  Turner owns 141,357 acres along the Bad River. I am not sure how many head of buffalo he has at the Bad River Ranch, but the estimate total head of buffalo at all the ranches he owns is around 55,000!

I was tempted to call this entry bird on a post. You will get the point as you look at the photos. I had one hawk sit on a post and pose for me, stretching out his wing.  At one point it seemed like there were hawks on every other fence post!  I have never seen so many in one area.

The list of wildlife from the early morning trip goes as follows: buffalo, deer, antelope with two kids, snake, wild turkey, hawks, burrowing owls, prairie dogs, phesants and numerous birds!

I also took a not so great picture of a burrowing owl poking its head out of a burrow. From what I have read they like living around burrowing mamals. The will take over the burrow or make their own and line it with cow pies or some sort of animal dung! Now there is a nice
potpourri scent you won't find at any big box store! 

This is a wonderful area to take an early morning drive. It is just what the human spirit needs.















No comments:

Post a Comment